My hope is that this blog will be a conduit for conversation between you and me, between you and others, and most importantly, between you and God. Experience has shown me that my best conversations with the Lord and with others come coupled with the stillness of morning and a cup of coffee. Whatever your experience has been, I hope you will join me as I share what God puts on my heart.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

All things that pertain to life and godliness.

Desperation forces us to make decisions we normally would not make.  Decisions premised on what we think we need easily become irrational.  Desperate choices are often not life-giving, abundant choices.  I do not want to develop the habit of making fear-based decisions.  I do not want to make decisions because I am worried that I will lose what I need.  I do not want to make decisions because I fear I cannot otherwise obtain what I need.  I do not want this for you. 

Through Christ, we never have to act out of desperation.  Not in the worst of circumstances.  Not in the best.  Our God has already made available everything we will ever need.

I sense that you are concerned—concerned that I am going to say that God is all we need.  But, it is true: God is all we need.  God is far more than we need.  We have trouble believing that God is what we need and that God is all we need because of our understanding of God.

Our Lord has given us everything we need for life and godliness.

I am not just speaking in spiritual terms. God is what we need spiritually, physically, emotionally, financially, relationally—for every area of life, for always.  I am not one who is unrealistically clinging to God while claiming He solely meets my spiritual needs.  I am not proclaiming that when our spiritual needs are met, our every need is met.  I am very much proclaiming that God goes far beyond your spiritual needs.  And this makes sense if you truly believe God cares for more than your spiritual component.  

For if our Lord solely cared about our spiritual elements, our Lord would not provide for our earthly elements.  But because our Lord cares about all the minutiae of life, He provides for the minutiae of life.  Our Lord has numbered every hair on your head.  Why would God number every hair on your head if He solely cared about your spiritual condition?  We must stop limiting the role of our God in our minds.  When we confine our Lord to purely spiritual provision, we limit our Lord’s glory in every detail of our lives.

Those who seek God lack no good thing.

When we stop restricting God's provision to our spiritual aspects of life, we recognize that we lack nothing.  We never have to make decisions premised on what we think we need.  We have what we need right now.  And we will have what we need when tomorrow comes, just as we had what we needed when yesterday came.  Because our God will provide for now and for always, our decisions can be premised on Him.  Our decisions can be premised on where God leads us and not where our fictional needs call us.

If we do not have it, we do not need it.  If we need it, we have it.  We need Christ.  We need more of Christ.  And more of Christ is available to me always.  And more of Christ is available to you always.

Trust that the Lord has given you everything you need right now.  Trust that you lack no good thing.  Trust that our Lord Jesus has given you more than enough for life and godliness.  Praise God.

“His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence . . . .” (2 Peter 1:3 ESV).

“The Lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.” (Psalm 34:10 NIV).

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”  (Matthew 10:29-31 NIV).




I happen to know a gal who is struggling with this daylight saving time business.  The only thing I am springing forward to is my coffee pot.

Much love to you,

Paige
   

No comments:

Post a Comment