My hope is that this blog will be a conduit for conversation between you and me, between you and others, and most importantly, between you and God. Experience has shown me that my best conversations with the Lord and with others come coupled with the stillness of morning and a cup of coffee. Whatever your experience has been, I hope you will join me as I share what God puts on my heart.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The one small step.


When God asks me to do something, I often attempt to determine every subsequent step before I comply.  More recently, I listed reasons why obeying God would be impossible, if not foolish, in my circumstances.  The devil must love to create fear in us so that we become overwhelmed and distracted with the end result of our obedience.  And, when we become fixated on what will happen if we obey, we project ourselves into the future devoid of God’s power.  It makes sense that we become overwhelmed. 
But God has only asked that we take one small step.      
We do not obey God for God’s love.  We already have that, and we always will.  We obey God to show our love for God.  We obey because of God’s love. 
How sweet it is to experience the joy of obedience to Christ.  God, the One who created life; the Maker of heaven and earth; the One the wind and the waves obey, has asked you to do something.  Our Father, who has given everything for you; who loves you the same regardless of how you respond; who sustains you, has requested something of you.  How gracious that our God wants to exemplify His power through this broken earthly creature.  How can I say no?
God needs nothing.  God certainly does not need us.  God wants us.   
I become easily overwhelmed just thinking about it. 
If God has been putting something on your heart, putting a call on your life, asking you to step out in faith, or asking you for obedience, I encourage you to do so.  The God who loves you more than you will ever know; who directs you more than you will ever acknowledge; who protects you more than you will ever realize; who showers you with blessings beyond your comprehension cares enough about you to request something of you.  God will be faithful to carry you.  God already has. 
Praise God that we are not called to initiate or fulfill God’s plan in our lives.  God only asks that we be willing.  After all, we can do nothing apart from Christ.  Praise be to God that we are not responsible for perfecting God’s overwhelming plan for our lives.  We only need to say yes.
“I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”  (John 15:5 NIV) (emphasis added).
“Moses said to the Lord, ‘Pardon your servant, Lord.  I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant.  I am slow of speech and tongue.’  The Lord said to him, ‘Who gave human beings their mouths?  Who makes them deaf or mute?  Who gives them sight or makes them blind?  Is it not I, the Lord?  Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.’”  (Exodus 4:10, 11 NIV).
“You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.” (Psalm 119:68 NIV).


 Oh sweet symphony in a cup!  I hope this finds you doing well.
Much love to you,
Paige

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! Thank you so much for the great insights! I have struggled my whole life with the desperate desire to find God's will and lately I have battled feelings of being completely overwhelmed with where I feel like God has placed me. It is so difficult to even know what is God's will for my life and what is my own interpretation.

    Do you have suggestions/thoughts/advice to help someone for truly finding and knowing God's will for her life and discerning that from the random voices of the world and the self will?

    On a related note (because I suspect spending time with God - praying, in His word, etc - might be a part of the equation) do you have tips or ideas that have worked for you in developing those habits and times with God? I would love to know things that have worked (or not worked) in your experience.

    Thank you for sharing your journey with God with your fellow travelers!

    ReplyDelete