My hope is that this blog will be a conduit for conversation between you and me, between you and others, and most importantly, between you and God. Experience has shown me that my best conversations with the Lord and with others come coupled with the stillness of morning and a cup of coffee. Whatever your experience has been, I hope you will join me as I share what God puts on my heart.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Everything that hinders.


Too often the little things that affect the attitude of our hearts go unnoticed.  We become comfortable with combating the unconcealed sins in our lives, and we leave the concealed sins unattended.  The blatant sins are my focus, while the flawed attitude of my heart remains. 

That which affects the attitude of my heart needs to be addressed, even if that which affects the attitude of my heart is not patently sinful.    

Because that small thing that keeps me from experiencing the fullness of God is a big thing. 

We must regularly examine the attitude of our hearts.  We must allow our Lord to prick the hidden areas of our hearts that are displeasing to Him.  It is not that my behavior has been overtly sinful.  Actually, my wrongdoing has been subtle and indirect.   Even when our behavior is not directly affecting our walk with God—if it is even indirectly affecting our walk with God—it must be addressed.  And this means even good things.  And this may include inherently pure things. 

It is not that we are to be fixated on purity.  The obsession with purity in itself can be unholy, for God is purity for us.  It is more that our God wants us to be fixated on seeking after Him.   Because that which hinders us may be good in itself, we must that more diligent in safeguarding against the subtle, the delicate, the feel-good, and seemingly untainted diversions to our pursuit of God. No impediment, no distraction, no obstacle—no matter how minor—will be worth forgoing whatever more of the Lord I am failing to experience.  Whatever more of the Lord you are failing to experience. 

That which impedes us is that which suppresses our desire for God; that which is an obstacle to knowing God more; that which satisfies our craving for fullness in our Lord; that which causes us to believe contrary to God’s promises; that which muffles God’s voice in our lives; that which undermines our trust in God or causes us to trust in something other than God; that which hardens our hearts to God; and that which mutes the manifestation of Christ in our lives. 

You have been called to life in God.  If anything is impeding God's fullness in you, I implore you to let God remove it.  I implore you to give it to God.  Even if it is small stuff.  Even if it is insignificant.  Even if it seems trivial.  Even if you are unsure if it is impeding your walk.  If you are questioning if it is an obstacle to God, then it is likely distracting you.

May our Lord search our hearts.  May our Lord prompt us to extract that which clouds our pursuit of our Lord.  Praise God that we can unswervingly follow after Him.    

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  (1 John 1:9 NIV).

“[L]et us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.”  (Hebrews 12:1 NIV).

“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.”  (Proverbs 4:23 NIV).




It is only appropriate for me to acknowledge that which brings me closer to God: Dunkin' Donuts Toasted Almond coffee.  Praise God.  Add some sweet-cream creamer and some natural sweetener, and you will be praising God too.

Much love to you, 

Paige

1 comment:

  1. I am a first time reader. I do not care much for mornings or coffee, but the Good Lord is something to get me excited! Thank you for your obedient heart and to share your ministry. A perfect message for what was on my heart today. God is good and so are you!

    ReplyDelete