My hope is that this blog will be a conduit for conversation between you and me, between you and others, and most importantly, between you and God. Experience has shown me that my best conversations with the Lord and with others come coupled with the stillness of morning and a cup of coffee. Whatever your experience has been, I hope you will join me as I share what God puts on my heart.

Friday, November 4, 2011

But the Lord was not in the earthquake.


Recently, I wrote about our deliberate stillness before God.  Even more critical than our stillness before God is the stillness of God.  It is essential that we understand this undeniable quality of our Lord.  I urge you to grapple with it. 
Because it is imperative that we discern the voice of our Lord.
And many times I am needing an answer from God, but I am straining—straining to hear God’s voice.  And I feel turmoil, and I wonder if the turmoil indicates that I am in the wrong.  And I wonder if the turmoil is God’s voice.
But the Lord was not in the wind.  But the Lord was not in the earthquake.  And he was not then, and He is not now. 
If our Lord is our peace, and if our Lord does not change, then our Lord does not speak through chaos or fear.  Although those may be our natural reactions to the Lord’s voice, we must discern what is truly God’s voice.  And God’s voice is consistent with His nature. 
And God’s voice is still.  And when God speaks, even when what God wants of me is contrary to what I am doing; even when I am fearful to obey what God has asked; even when I am in disobedience, God’s voice is no less still. God’s voice is peace.  What I am experiencing does not change God’s nature.  If God’s voice cannot be contrary to God’s nature, then what I am experiencing does not change God's voice either. 
I do not want to mislead you: God’s voice is certainly powerful; God’s voice is certainly majestic.  But we must not confuse the power of God’s voice with His voice.  Although God’s voice may cause chaos in us when we are living contrary to God’s will, God’s voice is certainly not chaotic.  The power in God’s voice is mutually compatible with the stillness in God’s voice.  When God speaks to us in a gentle way, it is no less powerful. 
And it is overwhelming to me at times to distinguish God’s voice.  And much like discerning God’s will, we can become obsessed with discerning God’s voice.  But the solution is not unattainable: the more we know the Lord, the more we know His voice. 
We must consider if the voice we are hearing is our Lord’s. Consider if the voice is consistent with our Lord’s nature.  Are you hearing condemnation?  Because there is none in Christ Jesus.  (Romans 8:1 NIV).  Are you hearing that God is harming you?  Because God is always working for the good of those who love Him.  (Romans 8:28 NIV).  Are you hearing that God cannot forgive you?  Because if you confess your sins, Christ will purify you from all unrighteousness.  (1 John 1:9 NIV).  Are you hearing that you are not enough?  Because God’s grace is sufficient for you.  (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV).  
I pray we talk to God more and listen to God more—that we may know His voice more. 
 “The Lord said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’  Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind.  After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.  And after the fire came a gentle whisper.”  (1 Kings 19:11, 12 NIV). 
“The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters.  The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic.”  (Psalm 29: 3, 4 NIV).
“And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6 NIV). 
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives….”  (John 14:27 NIV).


Speaking of voice. . .my husband likes to wait until I am belting a song in the car, so that he can stealthily turn the radio off as I am miserably attempting to hit the high note.  Awkward
Much love to you,
Paige
 

1 comment:

  1. Are you a prophet? What are the odds of an actual earthquake??? :) But God was not in the earthquake...
    I am so thankful for His still, small voice. Thank you for these insights - they are so incredibly helpful and I don't know if I have ever heard it said this way. I so want to be discerning - I don't want to miss Him.

    ReplyDelete