My hope is that this blog will be a conduit for conversation between you and me, between you and others, and most importantly, between you and God. Experience has shown me that my best conversations with the Lord and with others come coupled with the stillness of morning and a cup of coffee. Whatever your experience has been, I hope you will join me as I share what God puts on my heart.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Higher, deeper, longer, wider.

I'm so relieved to remember God is not limited by our limitations.

Why is this good news?

Because we live with a laundry list of limitations.

Limitations you put on yourself.

Limitations you put on God.

Limitations you were born into.

Limitations you later developed.

Limitations related to your physical, emotional, or mental state.

Limitations on time.

Limitations on talent.

Limitations from your spouse.

Limitations from your bank account.

Limitations from your boss.

Just to name a few.

I've recently felt the weight of my own limitations--the weight that these limitations could foreclose God's plan. My thinking goes like this: If X can't/won't/doesn't happen, then how will God's plan unfold because I know X is necessary for God's plan? 

This is dangerous thinking.

When I frame it that way, I'm actually inviting three nearsighted results: an act of rebellion*, bitterness, or apathy.

It does not take a specific, preordained set of circumstances to enable God's plan.  Put another way: a limitation precluding a specific set of circumstances cannot prevent God's plan.  

God's mysteries are higher than the heavens above, deeper than the depths below, longer than the earth and wider than the sea.

God is the most creative Being to ever be. The onus was never on us to accomplish His plan. The idea is quite laughable, really. The God who creates and sustains us is surely great enough to work within the parameters we experience, and great enough to exceed or even shatter them.

At this point in my life, I'm experiencing some palpable limits. And I refuse to be surprised when God works them for His glory. So here I remain: living with boundaries I trust our great God to use and exceed. 

[*sidenote* I'm not proposing an act of rebellion can never be part of God's plan; it certainly can be, particularly when the alternative means compromising Christ. But our small thinking should not mandate this result every time--whether God's best or not.]

“Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the Almighty? They are higher than the heavens above—what can you do? They are deeper than the depths below—what can you know? Their measure is longer than the earth and wider than the sea." (Job 11:7-9 NIV).


chug-a-lug to you.

Much love to you,

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment