My hope is that this blog will be a conduit for conversation between you and me, between you and others, and most importantly, between you and God. Experience has shown me that my best conversations with the Lord and with others come coupled with the stillness of morning and a cup of coffee. Whatever your experience has been, I hope you will join me as I share what God puts on my heart.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Keep me free.

During many seasons of my life, I’ve found myself paralyzed by the opinions of others. When it’s not the opinions of others, it’s my mental projection of those opinions. In either case, I am trapped between the work Christ has done in me and the work Christ has yet to do because I fear what others might think. It pains me to admit that I’ve ignored or delayed my execution of Christ’s prompting solely because of my addiction to others' approval.  

But even more confining than what people think of me is the fallacy that I can define what they think. My addiction to this false sense of control feeds me artificial solace. By projecting others’ opinions and responding accordingly, I’ve idolized myself. Then, it is a trap to think my issue is merely with the approval of others.  

The problem goes deeper. The problem is my heart. Maybe you can relate.

It became a heart issue at the very point I elevated that something or someone or whatever over following God’s prompting. If anything obstructs our response to God's prompting, it is an issue of the heart.  

Until we allow our Lord to address the underlying heart issue, we will remain similarly vulnerable to other fallacies and impediments. In my case, it's never really about others' approval. And it's not about that person—or fear, object, insecurity, obstacle, you name it—that’s preventing you from executing God’s prompting. Indeed, whatever holds us back now will later be replaced with something else if the condition of our hearts remains unaddressed.    

I fear you can identify with me. And I fear that you’ve similarly failed to address the fallacy underlying whatever it is that impedes your obedience in Christ. I pray Christ unveils whatever fallacy anchors our spiritual paralysis. I pray we have courage to dig deep and address it. I pray we trust wherever God is leading us will abundantly overshadow the fallacy that confines us.

Praise the Lord that we are free from the trap.

“Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.” Proverbs 29:25.

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”  Psalm 51:10.

“Keep me free from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge.” Psalm 31:4.


Here's to you, my friends. It's been too long.

Much love to you,

Paige

1 comment: